Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving Ride

Robert, his parents, and I are at The Beechwood Inn, a bed & breakfast in Clayton, GA, for Thanksgiving.  It's a delightful place.

Robert and I came up early enough yesterday for a ride.  We rode a loop from Clayton to Highlands, NC and back.  It was a lovely day to ride, and we got plenty of climbing - over 6,000 ft in 60 miles, about twice as much elevation gain per mile as back home.

We headed out late this morning for another ride.  Some of today's route overlapped yesterday's, and it also included a portion along Lake Burton.  Interestingly, we passed a field that was serving as the staging area for helicopters being used to fight the nearby wildfires.  These are the wildfires that have spread smoke south as far as Macon.  Fortunately, wind patterns were such that we didn't notice any smoke on our rides yesterday or today.  I pray for the people and wildlife in harm's way from the fires and that we'll get rain relief soon.

I figured that today's ride would take us a little over three hours.  Our average speed probably would be slightly slower than usual because of the hills, but I didn't expect we would have quite as much climbing as yesterday.  Surprise - the total distance was less, but the rate of climbing wasn't too different: nearly 4,200 ft in 47 miles.

I had an even bigger surprise.  I thought I would be fine by not eating during the ride, particularly since we had had a substantial breakfast.  Also, although I had a Clif Bar with me, I really didn't want the calories because I was anticipating our Thanksgiving feast back at the Beechwood Inn.  That was a poor decision.  I can ride maybe two and a half hours without eating.  Three is really pushing it.  We rode three hours and 20 minutes and had significant climbing - no wonder I nearly bonked.  I should have known better.  But Thanksgiving dinner sure was good!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  (Serious holiday, that is.  I love Groundhog Day and International Talk Like a Pirate Day, too.  Arrr!)  Thanksgiving is special not because of the lavish meal, although I certainly enjoy that.  It's because being thankful helps me get through life.  Whether it's going well or badly, there is always something to be grateful for.  One of the biggest things I'm grateful for is being able to ride my bicycle, enjoying the beauty of the world around me.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment