Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Back in the PWR

I can't believe I've lived in Jasper County for 20 years before doing what I did yesterday.  I rode to Allison Lake in the Piedmont Wildlife Refuge (PWR), hiked around for a while, and rode home.  The PWR is one of my favorite places.

The ride to Allison Lake takes about an hour.  I packed some walking shoes, a bike lock, and a simple picnic (fruit and sandwiches) for Robert and me in a Fried Green 50 backpack that I got several years ago.  Robert had a four-hour training ride on his calendar.  Therefore, he rode for three hours before meeting up with me at Allison Lake for our picnic and the one-hour ride home together.

I had checked the PWR hiking trails online ahead of time.  There are three beginning at Allison Lake.  I chose the Red-Cockaded Woodpecker Trail, which is about 2.9 miles long.  I also checked the Georgia hunting guide that I had picked up at last weekend's Deer Festival.  The PWR is open to hunting only a few days a year.  It just so happens that yesterday was one of those days.  However, I figured that it would be OK to hike on designated trails.  Additionally, I wore my fluorescent yellow cycling jersey as an extra precaution.

With afternoon temperatures in the high 50s and partly cloudy skies, it was a beautiful fall day.  I purposely walked at a leisurely pace, trying to be more than to do.

Tasseled fall grass

Tassel closeup

Hidey hole

Sure enough, there's something inside! A letterbox is similar to a geocache.




Unidentifiied wildflowers that have gone to seed

Allison Lake

The Red-Cockaded Woodpecker Trail has several informational signs along the route.  I learned several cool wildlife facts:

  • Flying squirrels are nocturnal.  No wonder I've never seen one.
  • Raccoons usually eat next to creeks or streams.  They often dunk their food in the water before eating it.
  • Beavers are the largest rodent in North America, and they have orange teeth!

Robert was waiting by my bicycle when I finished my walk.  He said that a ranger told him we had to leave right away because the entire refuge is closed on hunting days.  D'oh!  I had no idea, but at least I know for the future.  Too bad Robert and I didn't get to stay long enough to eat our apple slices and besquished pb&j sandwiches.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to the PWR for more hiking, but I guarantee that it won't be another 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment