Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, November 15, 2020

Coffeeneuring #5 - Good Grief!

I've been continuing my coffeeneuring Theme Within a Theme of riding on dirt roads and drinking a different type of tea each time - Let's Get Dirt Tea!

After another busy work week and racing yesterday, I'm finally getting around to writing about my latest coffeeneuring adventure, which was last Sunday.  I visited my friend Grief at Concord Primitive Baptist Church and drank some green ginger tea.  I discovered Grief's grave several years ago and am fascinated with his name and the fact that he almost made it to 100 years old so long ago.



Sitting on a big tree stump to drink my tea



Although the forecast showed little chance of rain, the sky looked rather ominous as rode into western Jasper County toward Concord Primitive Baptist Church.  I suspected I would get wet before the end of my ride, but it was still a beautiful afternoon as I continued on my route.


Sure enough, a few miles later a light rain began.  I considered modifying my route, not to make it shorter but to get home sooner.  I still wanted to ride at least 50K so that my ride would count for the Hudson Valley Virtual Brevet Post-Season Play.  But did I want to stick with my original plan to go by Dairy Queen for my annual pumpkin pie Blizzard?  I wasn't sure when I might have another good opportunity for a Blizzard.  Also, I remembered one last stop I intended to make.  Therefore, I stuck with the original route.

Happily, the rain let up.  I wheeled into Dairy Queen.  There were a lot of cars in the drive-through, and so I donned my mask and ordered inside.  Then, I took my Blizzard outside to eat.  I asked for a mini, but they gave me a mongo (not sad).


My final stop was on the Monticello square.  I wanted to get a picture of the City's scarecrow, which was in the local scarecrow contest.  I hadn't noticed it until a few nights previously, when I parked in front of it to pick up takeout from La Eskina.  It had been too dark to get a photo then.


The scarecrow contest had already ended, and so I knew I didn't have much time to get a photo before it was taken down.  My prediction was correct; the scarecrow was gone a few days later.

The rain picked up again during the last few miles of my ride.  I got home just before dark and just before the rain started coming down in buckets.  I settled in with a nice, warm shower and a little leftover green ginger tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment