Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Coffeeneuring #2 Through #4 - More Getting Dirt Tea

It's been a busy last few weeks.  I've have several great rides since my last post, but I haven't had time to write about them.  So, I'll combine a few here and do another report (hopefully) soon.

Coffeeneuring is intended to be fun and relaxing.  Even though I haven't had as much time as I'd like to write, I've made a point to keep up with coffeeneuring:


Coffeeneuring #2 - Kirkin' o' th' Tartan

My church, Monticello Presbyterian Church, reopened in June (eek), but I've continued only to watch virtual services.  A few weeks ago, however, I went in person because is was outside at Westview Park, and it was a Kirkin' o' th' Tartan, a special service that highlights the Scottish roots of the Presbyterian Church.  As we gathered in the park, it was somewhat reminiscent of the clans of Scotland gathering clandestinely on the moors, called by bagpipes, because England had outlawed Presbyterianism.

Our pastor did a great job of summarizing Presbyterian history from Martin Luther to John Calvin to John Knox to the Scots-Irish Presbyterians in New Caledonia (the American colonies), who played a large role in the American Revolution.  All this was based on Scripture from Romans and Habakkuk.  (Heh heh - how often do you hear a sermon from Habakkuk?  Cool!)

I sat at the back, spreading out a towel and enjoying the lemon zinger herbal tea I had brewed at home and brought with me.

It was so pleasant to sit in the grass, drinking tea and listening to the bagpiper.  The weather was beautiful.



Wearing a tartan scarf and my happy gloves


It was my favorite Kirkin' o' th' Tartan service I've ever been to.  Afterwards, I rode a while longer on dirt roads.



Coffeeneuring #3 - Double Churches

The next week I did another churchy coffeeneuring ride.  Well, isn't that special?


I had Earl Grey tea with first breakfast when I got up.  Usually, I have Irish breakfast tea with breakfast, but that morning it became second breakfast.



What better place to have second breakfast than at Double Churches?


This is one of my regular dirt routes, but I don't know the story behind Double Churches.  The route is a lollipop with Double Churches along the lollipop stick.  As a bonus, I found a U.S. Geological Survey marker when I stashed my thermos in the bushes before I made the loop.  


The marker says that the elevation at this point is 636 feet above sea level.  My bike computer indicated that it was about 671 feet.  I'll go with the U.S.G.S.

After riding the loop, I stopped back by Double Churches to drink my tea before heading home.




Coffeeneuring #4 - Cedar Creek

Yesterday was coffeeneuring ride #4.  Now that the time has changed, I'll be doing dirt rides in the dark after work (with lights on my bicycle, of course).  I left at twilight with  some chai and a slice of banana ginger bread in tow.


Usually, I add half-and-half to my chai, but because it was evening (i.e., adult beverage time), I added Irish cream liqueur this time.  I would have gotten Bailey's Irish cream, but my small-town liquor store only has a knock-off, Ryan's.  (Can't you just imagine the creators: "Hey, what's an Irish sounding name?  Let's call it Ryan's!")  It was tasty nonetheless.

I had made the banana ginger bread over the weekend for Halloween.  It's from my Bats in the Pantry cookbook.  The recipes in this cookbook highlight ingredients that rely on bats for pollination or seed dispersal.  The delicious and aromatic spices in the banana ginger bread - ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves - are perfect for fall.  It's also a great way to use up overripe bananas that have been banished to the freezer.

I stopped at the bridge over Cedar Creek.  Although I ride this road frequently, usually I'm zooming by too fast to look at the creek.  Coffeeneuring was a great excuse to stop and enjoy this tranquil spot.


As a native Georgian, I get cold if it's less than 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and so it's tough for me to transition to the colder temperatures of fall and winter.  (It was 59 degrees when I started yesterday evening.)  Still, there's something special about these dark evening rides during the colder months.  I love being among the crepuscular creatures (deer and rabbits last night).  Especially at twilight, it's magical.




No comments:

Post a Comment