Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Thursday, May 7, 2020

25th Anniversary Tandem Ride!

25 years ago yesterday, Robert and I left our wedding reception on a borrowed tandem:


My sweet sister Donna, who was also my matron of honor, decorated our getaway bicycle for us :)  In case you're wondering, yes, Robert and I changed clothes before we rode off.  Also, we only rode about a mile to where our car was parked.

In 2006 Robert and I got our own tandem.  Although we mostly ride single bicycles, we've had a lot of great times on the tandem, too.  We've been to almost every Georgia Tandem Rally since we got our tandem, and we also rode it in the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) in 2007.

Yesterday, I talked Robert into a tandem ride.  He got the bike ready to ride and then headed out to run a few quick errands.  While he was out, I taped an updated version of our wedding day sign to the tandem:



We did, indeed, ride to Hillsboro (sans sign, which was really just for a photo op).  More specifically, we rode to Hillsboro Lake, which is one of my favorite weekday routes.

More often than not, I've been riding to and from Hillsboro via Goolsby Road instead of down Highway 11.  It's about 1.7 miles longer, but it avoids the newly installed rumbles all along the white and yellow lines.  Robert and I headed down Goolsby Road toward Hillsboro.

When we turned around at Hillsboro Lake, Robert said he was going to take us back on Highway 11.  I was surprised, but that was fine with me.  In fact, I did a quick calculation in my head.  We had ridden 13.3 miles to Hillsboro Lake via Goolsby.  If we went back via Highway 11, it would be 11.6 more miles - a total of 24.9 miles.  Hmm...nearly 25 miles, and it was our 25th anniversary...

Sure enough, as we rolled back into our driveway, our total mileage was 24.9 miles.  Robert agreed to ride a few laps around our circular driveway to get 25 miles.  That's true love.  Ride on!

No comments:

Post a Comment