Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Sautéed Green 25

For about the past 10 years, my friend Monte has hosted the Fried Green 50 (FG50) on the first Sunday in November.  I've ridden most years, and I really look forward to this annual mostly dirt-road ride in the Piedmont Wildlife Refuge (PWR) and surrounding area.  It's one of my favorite places to ride, and the weather is usually exceptional on this particular weekend.  So, I was sad to learn that Monte wouldn't be holding the FG50 this year.

Because the FG50 wasn't happening, I agreed to teach Sunday school.  I team teach with my friend Barbara.  She had filled in for me the past few weeks, and so I was definitely due to spell her.  Then, a few days ago, Monte put the word out that he was getting together a last-minute FG50 after all.  Drat.  Sometimes it's hard being a responsible person.

I came up with a good plan after all.  I packed my cyclocross bike, kit, and gear in my car.  I taught Sunday school as promised.  Then, I bailed on bricks-and-mortar church and headed to the PWR for bike church.

I parked at Allison Lake toward the eastern side of the PWR.  Monte and whoever else showed up had left at about 10:00 AM from the regular starting point at the boat ramp in Juliette at the western side of the FG50 route.  I got on the road about 11:15 AM and picked up the route partway through.  I hoped my timing was such that I might see some of the other riders.

The portion of the FG50 route that I rode took me on the south side of the PWR.  This is a beautiful section that I don't get to ride nearly as often as the northern side.  From Allison Lake I rode west on Round Oak-Juliette Road (paved) and turned left onto Little Rock Wildlife Road (unpaved).  Local off-roadies call this the "wildlife loop."  It winds through breathtakingly picturesque woods.  The angle of the sunlight on a bright fall day somehow makes this section especially stunning.

I completed the wildlife loop and came back out on Round Oak-Juliette Road.  Right after that turn, I came up to a couple on gravel bikes.  Yep, they were doing the FG50.  I was glad to finally find some other riders!

Easy come, easy go.  I was riding a little faster than they were, and so I continued on solo.  A short distance later, I turned onto Caney Creek Road for the next dirt section to the south.  After about a mile and a half, I turned left onto Pippin Road.  Somehow I had forgotten just how hilly Pippin Road is.  It's got several significant climbs, particularly for dirt road riding, including one that's about 11.5% for a short distance!  I managed just fine, though.  The fact that I wasn't going at my usual FG50 race pace helped.  In fact, today I quite enjoyed a lot of scenery that I'm usually riding too hard to be able to notice.

I checked the time and decided I would ride half the FG50 distance, i.e., a Sautéed Green 25.  If I took the most direct route from there back to my car, I would be about 4 miles short.  So, I decided to go to the next dirt section and add a short out-and-back distance to get my 25 miles.

I rode north on Highway 11.  As I approached the fire tower at the intersection of Highway 11 and Round Oak-Juliette Road, there was another group of cyclists!  It was my friends Chris, Jake, Monte, Van, and three other guys I didn't know.  Cool!  Now I could ride with them for a while.

After they finished their break, we continued a little farther north and turned left back onto dirt at Westvaco Road.  This section was a prime example of what great shape the roads were in.  The dirt was well-packed with minimal gravel.  I've never seen the PWR roads look so good.

Alas, I got to ride with my recently found cycling buddies only a few miles.  The regular FG50 route headed northward for a while, but I didn't want to add that many miles.  I could have done a predictable out-and-back section on Westvaco Road, but I changed my mind at the last minute.  Instead, when we got to the first intersection on Westvaco Road, I turned south onto Mussleman Road.  Expect adventure.

I had never ridden this road and didn't know exactly how it connected, but I figured it had to somehow.  (The fact that Monte didn't discourage me from taking that turn also gave me confidence that it connected.)  I knew the direction I needed to go, and so I simply had some fun exploring.  After about a mile, the road came to a T intersection.  I thought the road to the right might connect to some other PWR roads that I would be familiar with, but I had a feeling the road to the left would take me out toward a cluster of houses on Round Oak-Juliette Road.  I took the road to the left.

My hunch was right.  I came out right where I thought I would.  From there, it was just a couple of miles back to my car at Allison Lake.  Actually, when I got back to my car, I was about 1/4 mile short of 25, and so I rode back and forth on Allison Lake Road to top it off.

Monte has plans to bring back the FG50 next year.  I sure hope it happens, but even if it doesn't, I know where I'll be on the first Sunday in November.


No comments:

Post a Comment