Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Athens 200K Permanent: The Palindrome Ride

I would have done this month's Audax Atlanta brevet, the Little White House 200K, but it was last weekend, the same weekend as the Deer Festival and Deer Dash.  I always like to support my local community.  So, instead I did the Athens 200K permanent yesterday.  It had been a while since I had ridden a 200K by myself, but I didn't mind.  Besides, it was the twelfth ride to complete my fifth R-12!  The R-12 is awarded by Randonneurs USA (RUSA) to a member who completes a RUSA event of 200K or more in twelve consecutive months.

Sunrise was at 7:01 AM.  I'm sure I would have been fine with a 7:00 AM start, but I set it for 7:30 instead just to make sure I had plenty of light.  I certainly didn't mind another half hour of sleep either!  I drove to the usual starting location for the Athens 200K, which is a motel in Watkinsville.

My stomach had been rather unsettled that morning.  Maybe it was the remnants of a bug I had a few days before.  On Wednesday I wasn't feeling great and lay down as soon as I got home from work.  I wound up taking a three-hour nap and didn't even cook dinner.  I had a slight fever, too.  The next morning I felt much better, though.  On Friday I felt more tired than usual at the end of the day, but I attributed that to my 14-hour day of teaching.  Regardless of whether I was still recovering on Saturday, I wasn't exactly sick, but my stomach was bothering me just enough to be an annoyance during my ride.  A randonee, even a "short" 200K, is challenging enough without extra worries.  However, I was determined not to let my stomach stop me.

It was my coldest ride of the season so far, but I was dressed well for it.  Although I'm a heat lover, I still enjoyed the beauty of the bright fall morning.  The Athens 200K route follows quiet, lovely roads through the exurbs and farms between Athens and Madison.

My Trek, which I use for randonnuering, has a detachable bike bag, i.e., the Yogi Bear picnic basket.  Usually, I use my Yogi Bear picnic basket only on 300Ks or longer.  Yesterday, however, I had a particular use for it on this 200K.  As soon as possible after teaching a class, I have to mail my students' certification exams to be scored.  Because Monday is a holiday (Veterans Day, observed), I didn't want to wait until Tuesday morning to mail the exams from my Friday class.  Therefore, I carried the exams in my Yogi Bear picnic basket.  I stopped at the post office in Madison.  The timing was perfect, and my students are taken care of.  There's more than one way to skin a cat (although I don't know why you'd want more than one way).

I wasn't feeling particularly hungry during the ride, but I made myself eat something about every 25 miles.  At the control in Eatonton, I got a can of Coca-Cola Classic (the magic elixir of randonneuring) and some dill pickle-flavored peanuts.  Those both hit the spot.

I'm glad I refueled at that point because the next 25 miles were the hardest of the day.  The headwind was significant.  I hoped it wouldn't set me back too far on my goal of finishing before 5:00 PM (close to sunset).  Although the going seemed slow, my speed didn't seem too bad as I checked it on my Garmin.  I was performing OK despite my still-wonky stomach.

On one of my Garmin checks, I was just over 82 miles.  Ooo, if I kept a close eye on it, I could watch when it turned to 82.28 miles - a palindrome!  It was a minor thrill when those digits appeared.  I could do it again at 83.38 miles.  Oops, I was thinking about something else at 83.38 miles, but I had plenty more palindromes after that.  (Hey, I'm easily entertained, and entertainment of most any kind is welcome on a solo permanent.)

Palindromes became the theme of the rest of my ride.  My rides frequently acquire themes.  I can't predict them; they just happen.  That reminds me of one of Jack Handey's Deep Thoughts:

"If you get invited to your first orgy, don't just show up nude.  That's a common mistake.  You have to let nudity 'happen.'"

After 100 miles, my Garmin display changes from two decimal places to one.  Therefore, once I got to 100 miles, I'd have only a few more palindrome opportunities: 100.1, 111.1, and 122.1.  I was determined to see these three.

At mile 97 I stopped at an intersection.  It was only a few miles to the next control, but I wanted to go ahead and eat something.  I sat in a nice grassy area and ate a Clif Bar.

When I got to the next control, a convenience store control in Rutledge, I got some Powerade.  Certain Gatorade and Powerade flavors can be kind of icky, particularly well into a long ride.  I selected some kind of "frost" flavor.  I hoped it would be something like grapefruit, which appealed to me at the moment.  I definitely didn't want the cherry flavored glacier/frost flavor, but this one didn't say cherry.  As I opened the bottle, I thought, "Please don't be gross.  Please don't be gross."  It was gross.  But I drank it anyway because I needed the liquid and calories.

Between the Clif Bar a few miles earlier and the gross Powerade, I felt much better.  In fact, I felt better during the last 25 miles of the ride than I had the previous 25 miles.  I knew there was a steep climb shortly after Rutledge as I exited Hard Labor Creek State Park.  That climb didn't faze me, nor did the two or three others between there and the finish.  I was grateful to be feeling so much better.

During the remaining miles, I transitioned to word palindromes.  There's redivider, the longest single word in English that's a palindrome.

I also thought of Madam, I'm Adam.  If my name were Adam, every time I met a woman, I'd introduce myself this way.

Dammit, I'm mad.  Not really, because when I thought of that one, I laughed.

A few miles from the end, I was riding on a sunny straightaway.  I glanced to my right and saw my shadow.  Just at that moment, two other shadows of bicycles approached my own!  A friendly couple greeted me and asked if I was having a good ride.  I said yes, but I was about ready for it to be over because I had been on the road since 7:30 AM.  They asked how far I had ridden, and I said 122.5 miles so far.  The woman asked if I was training for something.  I didn't want to take the time, and I didn't think they were really interested anyway, to tell them about my fifth R-12 or next year's PBP, and so I simply said, "I'm just crazy."  She smiled and replied, "That's our kind of crazy!"  Ride on!

I rolled in at 4:50 PM.  It was before sunset.  Also, I was satisfied with my finishing time, especially considering that my stomach had felt less-than-optimal all day.

I went inside to the motel restroom to change clothes.  My legs didn't feel too spry as I walked across the parking lot.  Then, when I went inside, my quads felt like they were about to seize up!  That's only happened to me once before, at a 5K run several years ago.  Fortunately, yesterday my legs soon felt better, particularly when I went back outside.  I suspect it was some kind of muscle reaction to the significant change in temperature between inside and outside.

Before I headed home, I had one more stop - the Quick Trip next door.  My friend Julie had clued me into their hot, soft pretzels, which she said are good post-ride food.  She was right!  It was perfect for the drive home and also sat well on my stomach.  I didn't even mind that I had forgotten to put mustard on it in my eagerness to get home.

To close, I'll leave you with the best palindrome ever: taco cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment