Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Chilly Today. Ride Tamale.

Today's calendar was open for both Robert and me - amazing!  A day or two ago, Robert asked me about my ride plans.  I told him I wanted to ride to Forsyth to get tamales at La Pasadita Cafe.  This is a great little hole-in-the-wall place next to a gas station that some friends clued us into (the best kind, eh?).

The first time Robert and I tried to go to La Pasadita Cafe was after Peach Peloton on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend.  They were closed.  The second time we tried to go there was after Peach Peloton on the Saturday right before New Year's.  They were closed again.  We finally had success the third time, after a Peach Peloton in January.  Our friends had recommended the tacos.  When I saw that tamales are also on the menu, I wanted to order a tamale and a taco.  Tamales are one of my favorite foods.  Alas, they were out of tamales that day, but the tacos were outstanding!  (We also took our friend Cal's advice to order the special salsa that you have to know to ask for.  It's made with lots of fresh jalapenos and fresh lime juice.)  If the tacos were that delicious, I figured they must make really good tamales, too.  Ever since then, I've been wanting to go back for tamales - thus today's tamale ride.

Robert offered to join me on the ride, and I eagerly agreed.  He even said he'd plan the route.  Great!  How about inviting our Macon cycling friends to join us?  Sure!  He mapped the route and posted a ride on Strava.  We'd start from Juliette at 9:00 AM.  My original plan was to ride from home, but OK.  The bigger bummer is that Robert set his alarm clock for 6:30 - plenty of time to eat breakfast, take care of the dogs, and load the bikes.  I had wanted to wake up without an alarm clock, a rather rare luxury.  It wasn't too big a deal, though, because I wouldn't have slept much later anyway.  In general, I don't sleep too late, even on the weekends.  Little did I know that although my original plan somewhat morphed, Robert's tweaks would make it even better.

We started from the public boat launch next to the Ocmulgee River in Juliette.  It was a cool day.  I wore a long-sleeved, fleece jersey and bib knickers.  Will it ever warm up this year?  Despite the coolness, it was a beautiful morning.



No one joined us for the ride, and so I had Robert all to myself.  No complaints here!

The total route was about 65 miles with tamales at about mile 55.  What a great plan: several hours to lunch with only 10 miles of post-tamale riding.

Robert's route kept us primarily in Monroe County.  I had ridden on most of the roads before, but it had been a while for several of them.  I even got to ride on a couple of roads that were new to me.  Overall, it was a beautiful route with very little traffic.  I am so grateful to live in such a wonderful area for cycling.

The temperature warmed into the 50s.  I was quite comfortable in the cycling gear I had chosen.  The sun shone bright in a blue spring sky.

We identified various breeds of cows as we rode by pastures.  I knew black Angus, Charolais, and Holstein.  Robert also pointed out some Jersey cows, a pretty breed that's not quite as common around here.

I calculated that it would take us a little more than three hours to get to the tamales - plenty of time to build up a good appetite and increase the anticipation.  (As if I needed any more anticipation...)  I had eaten a healthy breakfast and wasn't terribly hungry for the first couple of hours.  I considered not eating anything until tamales but decided that wouldn't be smart.  So, I ate a Clif Bar.  The tamales were still calling my name...

As we approached Forsyth, those tamales sounded better and better.  La Pasadita Cafe at last!

Robert and I went to the counter to order.  Then...

Sadness.  No tamales.  The cashier said they would be ready later that afternoon.  I expressed my disappointment, saying that we had ridden three hours just for tamales.  She apologized, and I could tell she felt bad.  I felt terrible for making her feel bad.  I quickly perked up, gladly ordering some delicious tacos.


That's nacho tamale.
As a bonus, our friends Cal and Cody plus Cody's wife and daughter were there at the same time.  Cal and Cody had just finished a group ride from Bolingbroke.  Getting to see them almost made up for the lack of tamales.  Almost.

The third time was the charm on simply getting to eat at La Pasadita Cafe.  Maybe the third time eating there will be the charm on getting tamales.  Ride on!

No comments:

Post a Comment