Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Monday, April 4, 2016

Unique Opportunities

This blog is about riding on two wheels, but it might have been about riding on one wheel if my parents had ever bought me a unicycle like I asked for.  Every.  Christmas.

A ritual of my childhood was going through the Sears catalog in the weeks before Christmas, circling everything I wanted.  Supposedly, my parents used this wish list to figure out what to get me.  OK, so maybe I was a little (a lot) on the greedy side, asking for way more than I knew I would or should get.  But I really did want a unicycle – with training poles.  In some ways, at least, I was a realistic child.  Although I never did get that unicycle, think of how different my life could have been if I had.

I never participated in any organized sports until I started playing church softball in seventh grade.  However, my parents could have given me the look and feel of an athlete years sooner.  The Sears catalog said so:


Furthermore, I might have been an excellent unicycle hockey player.  How about this for a different spin?




As a teenager, I played a fair amount of street hockey.  It started with a group of older guys at church who played hockey in the fellowship hall.  We ran around in tennis shoes and used a soft, rubber puck.  Soon thereafter, I started playing various sports with a group of guys from school.  We met after school at Oak Grove Elementary and played softball, flag football, basketball, Frisbee golf, dodgeball, pickle, or – you guessed it – hockey.  Our hockey puck was a tennis ball.  Imagine how much more fun our hockey games would have been on unicycles!

I even could have been a unicycle time trialist:


Alas, so many lost unicycle opportunities!  But nothing could be as epic as this:

No comments:

Post a Comment