Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Power Intervals

Note: The following is a collection of writings that I assembled for my church's 185th anniversary celebration this year.  Church members were invited to submit artwork illustrating our understanding of one of the "pillars of faith" that we had established.  I stretched the definition of artwork to include writing, and the pillar I selected was Transformed by Grace: A People in the Hands of God.


Power Intervals

By Betty Jean Jordan
 
One of my delights in life is to look for – and discover – God in the everyday.  God is always with us; one of God’s names is Emanuel, after all!  The tricky part is to have clear enough eyes, ears, hearts, and minds to discern that presence.  Sometimes God is noticeable in the not-so-obvious places.  I particularly love to see God during one of my favorite activities, riding my bicycle.
 
When I train for time trials, I often do power intervals, maintaining a certain power (wattage) for several time segments with a short rest in between.  It’s pretty intense, and I confess that I generally don’t focus on spiritual matters at those times.  Fortunately, I also do a lot of longer, slower endurance rides – perfect for some power intervals of a different kind.  We can be transformed by grace anytime, anywhere – even on a bicycle!  Following are some writings about my rides over the past few months when I have seen that we truly are a people in the hands of God.
 
…“In him we live and move and have our being”…
Acts 17:28
 
 
Compadres
January 4, 2014
 
It was the coldest Peach Peloton (winter training ride) in quite a while, certainly the coldest thus far of this season.  I wore my heaviest-duty winter riding gear, including tights, a windproof jacket, shoe covers, and my best winter riding gloves – all of which are black.  The coup de grace, however, was the balaclava, which I use only on the coldest rides.  Covering my whole head and neck, it left just my eyes exposed, which, of course, I covered with my sunglasses.  I looked like a Ninja in a cycling helmet.
 
Our Peach Peloton organizer had planned a 100-mile ride.  I knew that I couldn’t keep up the guys’ pace for that distance.  Therefore, I mapped out a shorter, 83-mile route for myself, which worked very well.  About half way into my ride, I turned off by myself and said goodbye to the guys until we met again at the parking lot.
 
Around mile 50 I got to Barnesville.  I was ready for a store stop.  I found a convenient convenience store and parked my bicycle outside, leaving my helmet next to it.  I bought a bottle of Gatorade and some Cheez-Its.  The salty crackers tasted especially good after the sweet Clif Bars I had already eaten during my ride.  I stood inside the store while I refueled, enjoying a few minutes of warmth.  Even though I pulled down the mouth covering on my balaclava so that I could eat and drink, I’m sure I still looked pretty odd standing there in my cycling getup.  If nothing else, what crazy person would be out riding on a day like this?
 
That’s when he walked in.  He may or may not have been a homeless person, but either way I could tell that life had put him through the wringer.  I waved hello as he walked past me.  The thing that struck me most was his hat.  It was a very large, brown, leather stovepipe hat.  No, really it was shaped more like the Mad Hatter’s hat.  I have no idea where one even buys such a hat.  I was so tempted to ask him to take a picture with me.  The Mad Hatter and the Ninja – wouldn’t that be great?  However, I didn’t want to offend him, and so I just continued to munch on my Cheez-Its.  Then, as he walked by me on his way back out of the store, I waved again to him and smiled.  Wordlessly, he looked me in the eye and placed his fist over his heart.  I don’t know exactly what he was saying, but I felt connected to him in that moment.  Perhaps we are on very different paths, but he and I are compadres on this same journey of life.
 
 
So Great a Cloud of Witnesses
February 16, 2014
 
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us.
Hebrews 12:1
 
Today I rode on one of my favorite Jasper County roads, Fellowship Road.  It has excellent pavement, very little traffic, and beautiful forests on either side.  There’s something about riding down this road that makes me feel especially connected to the land.
 
On a lovely, warm Sunday afternoon several years ago, Robert and I took another bicycle ride down Fellowship Road.  We passed a small church; I believe it was an A.M.E. (African Methodist Episcopal) church.  Jasper County, which has a population of only about 14,000, is dotted with dozens, maybe hundreds (really!), of rural churches like this.  Some are simply relics from previous generations, but at others, people still meet, even if it’s only once or twice a month.  The congregation at this A.M.E. church was gathered on that particular day; we heard gospel singing well before the church building came into view.  African-American churches tend to meet for much longer on Sundays than do white churches, at least in the South.  I’ve always been glad that I come from a faith tradition that gets me out of church by noon on Sunday, freeing me for an afternoon of cycling.  To me, it’s just moving from indoor worship to God’s outdoor cathedral.  Even so, I have great respect for others’ approaches to worshipping God, and I have to admit that deep down I desire the strong sense of community that my African-American brothers and sisters seem to find so much more readily in their churches.
 
The music I heard on that earlier day was beautiful and almost otherworldly, kind of like something from the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou?  As I relished the feel of the sunshine on my face, the rhythm of my pedaling, and the companionship of my favorite riding partner, the music lifted my spirit.  I remember that music every time I ride my bicycle past that spot.  Or at least I think I do…
 
Did it really happen?  Some months later, I rode by and discovered that the church had burned down!  I was heartbroken for the worshippers who had met there.  Over time, vegetation has overtaken the burned-out remnants.  The average person wouldn’t know that a church was ever there.  After today’s ride, however, I know that that gospel singing was real.  I know because I heard a different joyful sound: the calls of hundreds of upland chorus frogs all along the roadside near the old church site.
 
I love frogs.  I have a CD that teaches you how to identify Georgia’s various frog species by their calls.  Although I haven’t learned as many calls as I’d like, I’m really good at identifying a few species, including the upland chorus frog.  This frog sounds like rubbing your fingers along the edge of a comb.  The males send out their mating calls from mid to late winter.  Especially with all of the ponded water from recent rain and melted ice and snow, I wasn’t a bit surprised to hear so many upland chorus frogs today.
 
I’ll hear frog calls coming from a particular patch of standing water, but as I come right up on it on my bicycle, the frogs cease their singing.  You hear the frogs, but you never see them – like the wind or the Holy Spirit.  Ethereal and miraculous.
 
Truly, we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses.  Whether it’s a gospel choir or a host of upland chorus frogs, God’s people and God’s creatures can’t help but sing glory to God.  Alleluia!
 
 
Changing a Flat
March 20, 2014
 
With this being the first day of spring, I most certainly was going for a bicycle ride.  Creation must have been ready for spring, too.  The combination of the lavender redbud blooms, white pear tree flowers, and green pine trees was striking in the lovely, early evening sunshine.  (I love Daylight Saving Time!)  I could hear an occasional late-season mating call of an upland chorus frog.  One of the zillions of benefits of cycling is to help me be in the moment.  It’s a good discipline.
 
For today’s route I chose an out-and-back down Goolsby Road, a rural Jasper County ride right near my house.  Although Goolsby Road is a regular part of my Frankenbike (cyclocross bike) rides, I don’t often ride my road bike on it.  Goolsby has a pretty rough surface and a fair number of potholes to dodge.  Frankenbike’s heavy duty tires can handle it with no problem, but I have to be more cautious on my road bike, which has much narrower tires.  Still, I thought Goolsby Road would be a nice variation for today’s road ride.  When I got to the end of Goolsby, I added a little extra mileage, riding on Fullerton-Phillips Road, Jones Road, and Dumas Road.  Jones Road is particularly beautiful and smooth, and I hadn’t ridden on in quite a while.
 
I reached my turnaround point and headed back toward home.  As I returned up Goolsby Road, I was cautious as I approached the bridge over Cedar Creek.  One time I was riding my road bike over this bridge and got a pinch flat at the rough transition between the asphalt road and the concrete bridge.  Today as I approached the bridge, I slowed down and carefully avoided any big bumps.  Yahoo!  Then, right in the middle of the bridge – whoosh!  I don’t know what I ran over, but my rear tire went flat immediately.
 
Over the years I have had an occasional flat tire, but I must confess that I’ve always relied on others to change my tire for me.  I ride primarily with men, and of course they always chivalrously volunteer to change flats for me.  Once or twice I’ve gotten a flat when I was riding by myself, like my previous flat on this Goolsby Road bridge.  At those times I’ve simply called Robert to come get me.   My system has worked pretty well, but recently I have taken action to be more self reliant.
 
Changing a bicycle tube isn’t really that hard, but it’s a skill that takes practice.  Certain steps can make the process a lot easier and faster.  A few months ago Robert gave me some refresher training.  Perhaps fortuitously, Robert had gotten a flat on our ride the previous weekend, and watching him change it reminded me of the steps.  Today I was going to change my own flat!
 
Remove wheel – check.
Use tire tool to loosen one side of tire – check.
Remove damaged inner tube – check.
Inspect inner wall of tire for sharp object that may have caused flat – check.
Place new tube inside of tire – check.
Work loosened tire back onto wheel – check.
Place CO2 cartridge on tube stem and inflate tube – check.
Place wheel back on bicycle – check.
 
It may not have been the fastest tire change ever, but I did it!  I was ready to roll!  Or so I thought…  Before I could even get back on my bicycle, I heard it again – whoosh!  Man, was I bummed.  I didn’t have another spare tube, and so I still had to call Robert to come get me.
 
Later, I learned that whatever I ran over actually put a big gash in my tire, which punctured the new tube when I inflated it.  So, I wound up having to replace both the tube and the tire.  The damaged tire wasn’t something I could have fixed on the road, but at least I had changed the tube correctly!
 
Cycling, like life, is not without its risks.  A few bumps, flats, detours, or even crashes are inevitable.  The important thing is to carry the tools you need to handle the difficult situations.  Also, some roads are better to travel than others.  In fact, some roads should be avoided altogether; sometimes you learn that after a mistake or two!  The good news, however, is that we can always count on God to be with us all along the way and to see us safely home.

Word
April 5, 2014
 
My child, keep my words
    and store up my commandments with you;
keep my commandments and live,
    keep my teachings as the apple of your eye;
bind them on your fingers,
    write them on the tablet of your heart.
Proverbs 7:1-3
 
Cycling can be very meditative.  Sometimes a particular Bible verse or passage will come to mind while I’m riding.  One time I started thinking about how a particular person had hurt me.  I thought I had forgiven the person, but for whatever reason, the pain resurfaced as I pedaled.
 
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.”
Matthew 18:21-22
 
These familiar verses came to life for me on that ride.  Maybe I wouldn’t ever forget the person’s wrongdoing, but I realized that every time I remembered it, I could release the hurt to God, not letting it take control of me.  I had a new understanding of forgiveness.
My cycling contemplations aren’t always so profound, however.  I think that God has a terrific sense of humor, which is why the Living Word sometimes reveals itself to me in rather quirky ways.
For several weeks every spring, the pine pollen really bothers my eyes.  It doesn’t affect my breathing, thankfully, but the large grains make my contact lenses very uncomfortable when I’m riding my bicycle.  Usually, I just tough it out, squinting and letting my eyes water.  Occasionally, however, it gets bad enough that I take my contacts out mid-ride.  Maybe I should invest in some prescription sunglasses (I need sunglasses even more than I need my contacts when I ride my bicycle), but I’ve never bothered.
Today I conducted an experiment.  I rode in the Journey Ride for Autism, a charity ride in Macon.  Instead of waiting for the inevitable pollen pain, I decided to take my contacts out before the ride.    Thus, I rode the entire 100-mile route half blind.  It worked pretty well; I think I only ran over one thing that I would have seen if I had had my contacts.
 
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Matthew 7:5
 
I ride with mostly guys.  Spending several hours at a time on our bicycles, we take at least one “nature break” during our rides.  The men have it easy; they just stop on the side of the road in a wooded area and answer the call.  On the other hand, we women have to be a little more discreet.  I ride a little ways ahead of the men and find a private bush.  I always laugh to myself and pretend that I can’t look back or else I’ll be like Lot’s wife at Sodom and Gomorrah.
 
But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.
Genesis 19:26

No comments:

Post a Comment