Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, December 19, 2021

Dale's 77th Birthday

Yesterday's Peach Peloton was extra special; it was also Dale's 77th birthday!  Dale is a legend in the Macon cycling community.  He's an extremely talented cyclist and triathlete.  In fact, he's the world champion in his age group in XTERRA (off-road triathlon).

Dale is also fun to be around.  He has a tendency toward malapropisms.  That's a fancy way of saying that he sometimes says funny stuff.  He probably has a hundred Dale-isms.  Robert has written down a few:

  • I am a habit of creature.
  • I have acid reflex.
  • Pour me another IPO.
  • We weren't lolly-dallying*
  • Let's eat at Pandora's Box
  • Helicopters were hoovering over my tent.
  • The peloton was riding in epsilon formation.
  • I was sorry to hear ZZ Gabor died.
  • Boy, you'd better watch out for those cha wow wow dogs!
  • Sitting in an MRI machine: "It's torture, like being watergated!"
  • I heard about Bill's surgery.  Is he having a peacemaker put in?
  • Put your clampons on so you don't slip and fall into a carafe.

*I have a direct connection to this one.  Dale and I rode with the B group one week at Peach Peloton, and it was a hard ride.  In the middle of it, I noted to Dale that we weren't lollygagging.  Dale confirmed this back at the parking lot, telling someone else, "We weren't lolly-dallying."

At 77 Dale has fewer great days on the bike, but we were all happy that he had one of those yesterday on his birthday.  He even pulled the peloton for a while.

Party time!  Dale and me at the Big Chief store stop

I made Dale a peppermint pound cake, which the group enjoyed after the ride.  The ride was from Gresco, and Steve was so nice to let us have our post-ride celebration inside.


Steve also gave each of us a Gresco cap.

Steve, me, Robert, Cody, Dale, Tony, Stoney, Angie, and Jason

Good route, we avoided the rain, and great friends - I feel like it's already Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment