Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, August 29, 2021

Determined to Have a Good Time

A few weeks ago, Robert and I went for a dirt road ride in the Piedmont Wildlife Refuge (PWR).  The PWR is one of my favorite places, especially for riding.  It was a longish ride, and I was glad Robert had decided to come with me.  I was focused on the ride, going at a good tempo.  After a while, Robert commented, "You have a determined look on your face."  I laughed and said, "I'm determined to have a good time."  Robert pointed out the double entendre: a good time, as in enjoying myself, and a good time, as in  being fast and competing well.

This made me think about cycling friends who fall into one of these camps exclusively.  Some ride for fun, which is great, but they look down on others who race or even ride hard.  Other friends are so serious about racing/riding hard that they can't adapt to the different dynamics of a good group ride.  I can't imagine making fun of someone for being slower, and I don't think anyone has ever treated me this way.  On the other hand, several times during charity rides, people have made snide remarks as I pass them, even though I think I have always tried to do so courteously and safely. 

I'm determined to have a good time in both senses.  Sometimes I like to ride just to enjoy being outside and feeling all the wonderful sensations of movement and good health.  Other times, I love the challenge of a race or a hard ride with the guys.

In many ways in my life, I think of myself as a bridge, bringing together different perspectives.  For example, I'm quite familiar with "the two Georgias" because I grew up in a big city (Atlanta), but I've lived about half my life in a rural area (Monticello).  Often, I've been the only or one of a few women in a group of men (e.g, engineering and cycling).  Also, for me, science and faith are not incompatible because they answer different questions.

Therefore, I'm determined to have a good time.  Maybe this will be my secondary life motto after Expect Adventure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment