Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, February 21, 2021

PPPP

Nature calls during long rides.  It's just a fact.  Usually, I'm the only woman or one of a few riding with a bunch of guys.  No one makes a big deal of it, but being female does present a few complications.  Peach Peloton has made me a PPPP expert.

First, I have to consider what to wear on Peach Peloton.  This isn't a fashion statement.  It's a matter of practicality.  The guys can get the job done quickly, but I have to partially undress and re-dress in the winter.  Time is of the essence.  Most cold weather knickers or tights have bib straps.  In the winter I typically wear a base layer with the bib straps over it, a jersey over my bibs, and sometimes a jacket if it's really cold.  That means that when we stop for a pee break, I have to strip off my gloves and one or two layers before I can pull my bib straps down.  Once the deed is done, then I have to get dressed again ASAP.  By the way, I've discovered that a couple of my long-sleeved jerseys have tight arms that are harder to get off.  Therefore, I don't wear these jerseys on Peach Peloton.

When it's time for a pee break, the guys stop, and I ride a little farther until I find a more secluded spot.  I joke to myself that I can't look back, or I'll turn into a pillar of salt like Lot's wife.  So far, so good.

About a month ago, we were only about 10 miles into our Peach Peloton ride when we saw a toilet that someone had left by the side of the road in front of their house.  As we approached, I yelled out, "Pee break!"

When I ride ahead of the guys to find a spot, I favor turnoffs from the main road, like a path or dirt road.  Such turnoffs usually provide easy access as well as ample hiding space.  Yesterday on our grand finale of the Peach Peloton season, the Pine Mountain Challenge, I found the most beautiful pee spot I've ever encountered.  Yes, it was scenic, but more importantly, it was well hidden, it had no briars, and it had a thick layer of soft pine straw.



No comments:

Post a Comment