Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Saturday, September 12, 2020

An Ordinary Ride - Or Not

I thought it was going to be just another ride, but sometimes the ordinary can be really enjoyable.  I rode a loop to Newborn and Godfrey.  It was a great route with very little traffic.

Although I could have made it on the water bottles I started with, I stopped for a refill at the B.F. Grant check station.

I've been grateful many times for the spigot there, one of the few water water sources for miles.  At the check station I saw some cicada exoskeletons - cool!  How many things might we miss if we don't slow down?


I felt even better during the last part of my ride.  That was probably because the Clif Bar that I ate kicked in, and I was well hydrated thanks to stopping for extra water.

As I rode back toward Monticello, I remembered that I dreamed about boiled peanuts last night.  I love boiled peanuts but couldn't remember the last time I had some.  Maybe the boiled peanut vendor would still be on the square as I went through.  Yes!  Another vendor was selling BBQ . Actually, he was out of BBQ and just had Brunswick stew left.  Perfect!

I carried my Brunswick stew and boiled peanuts in my Yogi Bear picnic basket for the few remaining miles to the house.  Robert got home from mountain biking right after I got home.  I shared my loot with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment