Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

MTB

I’m still working on getting the hang of mountain biking.  Last Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, was my most recent MTB outing.  I joined Mark, Monte, Robert, and Stony for a ride out of Juliette that went on the trails near the Ocmulgee River.

I stayed with the guys for the first few miles on River Road.  That wasn’t a surprise because it was regular dirt road riding – nothing technical.  As soon as we got on the connector to the Ocmulgee River trails, however, they dropped me like a hot potato.  Having fully expected that, I was glad I had uploaded the route to my bike computer beforehand.

The trail right next to the river was the most fun for me.  For the first time it felt like I was controlling my bicycle rather than vice versa.  The best way I can describe it is that I felt on top of the bike.  The guys waited for me at the end of this section, and I happily shared my progress with them.  That was the last time I saw them…

As usual, I fell a few times.  At least one time I got a photo of these cool mushrooms:


 There were several really steep climbs.  Once or twice, I gutted it out all the way to the top – goal!  More commonly, I went off track (still getting used to the turning radius of my bike) and had to get off my bike mid-climb.  Then, I wouldn’t be able to get going again and would have to walk my bike the rest of the way to the top.

The trail took me to an area of cut-over timber.  It was difficult to follow the trail, even with my bike computer map.  Eventually, I picked my way through.

Next came this completely kamikaze hillside.  I don’t see how anyone could ride up or down these slopes.  I had to hoof it for a good way.

It was a beautiful, warm fall day.  The only downside was that in some places, the leaves were so thick that it was hard to discern the trail.  A few times I had to rely on my bike computer’s compass to get me back on track.

Navigating while trying to avoid trees and other hazards was wearing me out.


When I finally got to Smith Mill Road, I had had enough beating.  I took the regular dirt roads back to Juliette.  I can’t say that I really had fun, but I was determined not to have a bad attitude.  I keep telling myself that it’s healthy for me mentally and physically to learn a new skill, particularly if I have to work at it.

Trying to follow the trail reminded me of the Brady Bunch episode where Marcia joins Greg’s Frontier Scout troop.  The handbook has no stipulation that a Frontier Scout has to be a boy, and so Marcia sets out to complete all the required initiation tasks.  The last task is following a trail through the woods.  Greg was supposed to blaze the trail for her, but he admits to Mike that some of his marks are kind of small.  (Greg wants her to fail that task.)  Marcia makes it.  So will I.


No comments:

Post a Comment