Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Last jSpin

jSpin, our Monticello spin class, started in September 2010.  It's met every Monday evening, originally in the Jordan Engineering break room and more recently at the Bulldog Gym.  Last night was the last class.  Robert has been the instructor.  He's been been ready to go out on a high note and pursue other projects.  That's certainly understandable, but it's still a little sad to say goodbye to something that's been part of our lives for so long.

jSpin has been a fun way to do some different cycling.  Often, it's been a good recovery ride after a hard weekend of racing or riding outside.  Additionally, in the early years we did yearly functional threshold power (FTP) tests.  Those were always killer tests, but the results were so useful in helping me set training goals.

As we were winding down yesterday evening's class, Pam made the great suggestion that each person share his/her favorite jSpin memory.  A few of these included travel stories (especially Frank and Nancy's world travels), Robby falling off his bike (twice!) during one of his first few classes, various competitions that Robert came up with (the marble competition was cutthroat!), weekend movie spins, and everyone going to dinner together.  One time we went to the French Market in Locust Grove, and another time we went to Reese Hall in Monticello.  In fact, our class dinner was the very first event that Reese Hall hosted, a couple of months before its official opening.  Robert had made the arrangements with Reese Hall owner Judy.  Somehow, Judy thought Robert was bringing a bunch of kids, maybe because he mentioned the word "class."  I think she was a little surprised that only adults showed up.  Regardless, she served the most delicious beef bourguignon with puff pastry.  I guess she would have served that to the group of kids she thought was coming!

Many favorite memories were from our Christmas spin classes.  During the years that jSpin was in the Jordan Engineering break room, we had a special class on the Monday before Christmas.  We had a few snacks - always cheese straws!  The highlight, however, was that this is the one class of the year where we had adult beverages in our water bottles.  People brought their elixir of choice: beer, vodka and cranberry juice, gin and tonic, peppermint cream liqueur, etc.  Not surprisingly, those weren't particularly intense classes.

These were a few favorite memories from the Christmas spin classes: Pam in her tutu, Shelley (retired district attorney) prancing around the room as the cheese straw fairy, and Joel's Christmas present pasties.  (I can't unsee that last one...)

My own favorite memories came from the times that I occasionally substitute taught for Robert when he had to go to a Monday evening meeting, usually city council or county commission.  I never felt comfortable enough to teach freestyle like Robert did; I always had a routine written down.  However, I used these substitute teaching opportunities to have a little fun, often coming up with a theme for that evening's class.  Some of my themes included dogs, magic, and math.  Two themes in particular stand out to me, though.

One time I had to substitute for Robert at our annual Christmas spin.  (Bummer that he couldn't be there!)  I counted down the 12 days of Christmas, matching a different spin exercise to each number.  The best was the 3rd day of Christmas.  We did a spin move that I made up in honor of 3 French hens: high cadence for 30 seconds (running around like a chicken with its head cut off), followed by 30 seconds of flapping our wings and making chicken noises.  The class actually did it!  Three sets!  As the instructor, I had the best seat in the house, looking out at everyone.

Then there was the class where we traveled across the country in song in honor of the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.  I made a playlist that commemorated various states, e.g., Georgia on My Mind by Ray Charles and California Girls by The Beach Boys.  The grand finale is another one of my jSpin favorite memories: New York, New York by Frank Sinatra with everyone off their bikes in a chorus line!  It was worth it just to see David doing his Rockette impersonation, even if he was only good for about two (half) kicks.

The exercise was great, and the themes were fun, but the best part of jSpin was the people.  I've truly enjoyed spending time with some of my Monticello friends and neighbors whom I probably wouldn't see much otherwise: Ann, David, Debby, Frank, Jan, Joel, Louise, Lynne, Nancy, Pam, Robby, and Steve.  Ride on!


jSpin class coincided with International Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19) in 2011.  Arrr!
Here be me mateys Debby and Joel.

Robert had a cool app that shows the length and intensity of each interval along with the music.
He devised this December 2011 workout to resemble a Christmas tree.

My birthday was on a jSpin day in 2012.  Robert surprised me with flowers in my water bottle :)

Christmas spin 2012.  Robert and I wore jerseys with seasonally appropriate colors - love the retro 7-Eleven jersey!

Fairy elves and reindeer at the 2012 Christmas spin class.

Robby the red-nosed reindeer brought the must-have cheese straws to the 2012 Christmas spin class.

Joel came by earlier in the day to decorate his spin bike with lights for the 2014 Christmas spin class.

Wassail (warmed in the microwave) in my water bottle for the 2014 Christmas spin class.  That's Sarge, our official jSpin dog, in the doorway.  We were always happy to see him when he came with Ann.  Also, that's a picture of pro cyclists Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault on the wall.

A sampling of the Christmas goodies everyone brought.  Robert encouraged everyone to burn at least 10% of the calories that they consumed.

Shelley, our cheese straw fairy, and Debby

Lynne and me (sporting elf/Vulcan ears)

No comments:

Post a Comment