Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Race Day

(Wah wah wah, wah wah wah wah...waking up to Charlie Brown's teacher on my radio alarm) Wha...?  Oh, yeah, I've got a race this morning.  If I didn't have to race, I'd be able to sleep in.  Not that I'd sleep any later than about 7:00 AM anyway...

Mmm...I love oatmeal - rocket fuel!  Glad I've got time for a cup of tea, even if I can't linger.

Good thing I loaded my TT bike and equipment into my car last night.  I'll go ahead and put on my skinsuit.  Not too far to the race.  Chamois time!

(Driving through town, I see a few friends out running)  They're crazy to get up just for a workout!  At least I'm up early because I've got a race.

Thinking about the race.  Focusing on the race.  Nervous about the race.  Beautiful sunrise - I need to let that sink in and not get so worked up.

At the race in plenty of time.  Checked in, got my timing chip.  Did an adequate job of pinning on my number without assistance - really need one more safety pin.  I'll pick one up when I go back by the registration table.  Need to trim the zip tie off my timing chip, too - even more important.  Now to set up my TT bike on the trainer.  It eases right in - like buttah!  Glad I practiced at home last night.

7:20.  Good - that gives me about 40 minutes of warm-up time.  I'll do a one-minute hard effort at 7:35, 7:45, and 7:55.

Feels good to spin my legs.  Whew - it's warm this morning.  I sure am sweating.  Wringing wet.  Is that my sweat on the grass beneath me or just dew?  Must be dew - it's on all the grass around me.  The sweat on the sun-bleached hair of my arms looks like dew-covered spider webs.

A little nervous.  Why do I do this?  Because it's good to challenge myself.  You can do this.  In an hour, you'll be finished - no pressure the rest of the day.  Focus.  Focus.

Just a few more minutes and then I'll head over to the start line.  It's time.  Put the trainer back in my car, drink some water, lock it up, hide my key.

(Rolling to the start line)  No barfy.  Remembered to trim my zip tie.  Got an extra safety pin; more aero now.  (Checking out the field)  All these young pups.  Is there anyone in my category even close to my age?  Whatever.  Let's get this going.  No ramp - good.  But someone is there to hold me on my bike at the start line.  Glad I've gotten used to that.

Not sure if this is going to be a 5.3-mile course like the online map says or if it's going to be 7 miles like Robert said.  Either way, it's a lot shorter than my usual TT's.  Need to go a little harder than on longer TTs.

(The official counts me down...5...4...3...2..1..)  I'm off!  Go, go, go!

One mile in - I'm averaging 27 mph!  Don't want to overcook it.  Need to rein it in a little.  No power meter today.  Have to go by feel and speed.  But remember to push harder than usual with the short course.

(Approaching a young boy who filled an empty spot a few ahead of me)  Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.  Not enough breath to speak.  (Giving him a thumbs up as I pass him)  You go, young cyclist!

I'm always so much less nervous once I'm actually out on the racecourse.

First turn.  Got here pretty quickly.  Watch out! Sand.

If the course is 5.3 miles, I'm about half way.  We'll see...

Not sure if my lungs or my guts are going to explode first...

No one at the turn onto Dixie Road.  Racers in front of me are going straight.  Hoping they're right...

(A short distance later) Good!  Sheriff's deputy at the upcoming turn.  I made the right call.  It's definitely the 7-mile course.

Wow, 3K to go!  A mile is about 1.6 km, so I've got how many miles left?  Don't try to do math right now!  Just ride - hard!

Keep going.  See if you can finish with a 23-mph average.

1K to go.  That's less than from my house to Bethany's.  You can do this.  Less than 5 minutes.  You can do anything for 5 minutes.

There's the finish line.  Head down.  Give it all you've got.  Follow through all the way across.  Can hardly breathe...

Lot's of commotion around the finish line.  Ref directing me to the left.  Just gotta get across the line...

Made it!  Keep riding; get your breath.

(Riding along the first part of the racecourse)  Need to turn around but don't want to interfere with other racers.  Look carefully.  Got it!

(Pedaling back to the parking lot) That was actually pretty fun.  Yeah, I'll race again.

No comments:

Post a Comment