Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Dragoncyclists

It's getting to be prime dragonfly season! After seeing a bunch of particularly beautiful ones this morning, I was reminded of one of my most fun entries from my previous cycling blog, A Year of Centuries.  The following post was originally published 6/21/13.
 
 
I love dragonflies. Actually, I love insects in general, but dragonflies are especially interesting and colorful. What better reminder of summer?
 
A few years ago I went to a dragonfly class at Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center, a wonderful place right near my house. First, we had a classroom session, and then we went out to one of the ponds on the property to watch and identify dragonflies. I was hooked! Later, I even purchased "Dragonflies and Damselflies of Georgia and the Southeast," a great reference book.
 
This past Tuesday, I did my usual group ride, a.k.a. Tuesday Worlds. One of the guys joined us a few miles into the ride. I saw him on a hill ahead of the peloton, his slender silhouette hovering like a dragonfly. All of a sudden it occurred to me just how much cyclists do resemble dragonflies. Darting around in their colorful kits, they both fly. Happy solstice!
 
Shining Clubtail

Eastern Pondhawk
 
Red-Veined Pennant
 
Common Green Darner

 

No comments:

Post a Comment