Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Hellhound

I love dogs.  I have two greyhounds and a beagle that exponentially increase my enjoyment of life.  However, I get angry with irresponsible people who let their dogs pose a hazard to cyclists.

Dogs that I encounter on my bike generally fall into one of three categories:

1) They are scared and retreat and/or run away.  No problem.

2) They are simply curious, perhaps wagging their tails or even running alongside my bicycle for a ways in an exuberant manner.  Also no problem.

3) They run at me aggressively, threatening to bite me and/or make me crash.  Definitely a problem.

Fortunately, the vast majority of dogs I have encountered are in Categories 1 or 2.  I had my first real encounter with a Category 3 dog last March.  It was on a road only a few miles from my house.  I generally don't ride that way because I've been chased by this dog and several others nearby too many times.  It had been a while since I had ridden that way, and I thought maybe I wouldn't see the bad dog that day.  Mistake.  Not only did I see him, he climbed a fence and chased after me!  I couldn't escape him, and he bit me on my side.  It's a wonder I didn't crash and truly get attacked.  It was a nasty wound, but I healed fine.  I do have four fang-shaped scars left on my side.  I just pretend that Dracula was drunk and missed my neck.  By the way, Animal Control quarantined the dog for a couple of weeks.  The owners promised to contain him, but I haven't ridden past that house since then.

Because that dog prevents me from going that route, I have been left with really only one other egress/ingress for my nighttime dirt road rides.  That has been fine until last week when I encountered another Category 3 - a hellhound.


A couple of miles from my house, I was riding my usual route, when all of a sudden I heard this terrible snarling about two inches from my leg.  The only light was from my bicycle headlight, and so I couldn't get a look at the dog that time.  I just rode away as quickly as I could, praying that I could out-sprint the hellhound.  I made it, but I had to go back that way at the end of my route.  Thankfully, it didn't chase me on the way back home.  I suspected, though, that wouldn't be my last encounter with it.  I was right.

Last night I did another dirt road ride, taking my usual egress/ingress.  There was just enough light left in the sky to see the hellhound this time.  It was a medium-sized, black, furry dog.  It would have seemed cute if it weren't out for blood.  I got away.

I hated that my ride was marred by the hellhound because it was a pleasant evening for January - temperature in the 50s - and I had pretty good mojo.  Maybe I wouldn't see the hellhound on my return trip.  I was wrong.

It chased me again, seeming to drip venom as it lunged toward my legs.  All I could do was sprint.  I did note the house number as I rode by, though.

I considered my options.  I could carry pepper spray or a similar deterrent next time I ride that way.  I could call the owner.  Or I could go ahead and call animal control.  I decided that I should call the owner.  It was easy enough to find him on-line, but there was no phone number listed, which didn't surprise me telephone land lines are getting pretty scarce.  Fortunately, I know who the owner is and where he works.

Today I called the owner in a very friendly manner.  I told him that I'm his neighbor and that I hoped he could help me with something.  When I described how his dog had been chasing me on my bicycle, he was very apologetic and said he would start putting his dog in a pen in the evenings.  I thanked him, and we hung up cordially.  I have high hopes that this will solve the problem and that I won't have to take any further steps.  Here's to being a good neighbor and working out our differences peaceably.

No comments:

Post a Comment