Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Pedaling and Paddling

Possibly the one thing that can make pedaling better is to add some paddling.  At lunch today, Robert and I were discussing our afternoon plans.  When he said that it would be a great day for kayaking, I knew exactly what we needed to do.  I had already planned to ride my bicycle to Allison Lake in the Piedmont Wildlife Refuge, a pleasant ride that takes about two hours round trip.  Allison Lake is also the perfect place to go kayaking.  I rode to Allison Lake, where Robert met me with the kayaks - and our beagle Shelly!


Shelly really seemed to enjoy riding in the kayak today.

I took her out for some more dog paddling while Robert tooled around on his mountain bike.  Because of all my RAAM training earlier this year, this was the first time I had been kayaking all year.  I definitely won't go so long again before my next kayak outing.  Gently gliding on the water on a beautiful August afternoon - nothing else in the world is so peaceful and relaxing.


I saw and heard all kinds of wonderful wildlife both on my bicycle and in the kayak: wild turkeys, fish, cricket frogs, dragonflies, egrets, cranes, and even a bobcat!  I saw several wasp nests like this on submerged trees out in the water:


I was careful not to get too close or disturb the wasps, using the zoom feature on my phone camera.  Note the fishing line and lure near the nest; I'll bet some fisherman got out of there in a hurry!

After I rode home, I made us a homemade pizza.  We also had some sparkling wine because every day is a reason to celebrate.  It was a happy day for humans and hounds alike.


No comments:

Post a Comment