Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Friday, June 12, 2015

Sacrifice

Sacrifice isn’t a very popular word in our culture.  Usually, it’s associated with religion, often in a rather barbaric context.  However, sacrifice is something we all deal with in our lives.  We must make choices, giving up one thing for something we believe is better, or perhaps just more convenient.  Contrary to what you might hear, no one can have it all.  We spend more time at work at the expense of personal time, or we focus on family and maybe don’t get quite as far down our career path.  Even seemingly smaller everyday choices involve tradeoff.  Do I take a much needed break after a long day at the office, chilling on the sofa for a while?  Or do I give my body the exercise it requires, even if I don’t really feel like it today?  This blog entry isn’t meant to be a complaint; it’s just a way for me to get better perspective on my preparations for RAAM.  Maybe it will also give you an idea of what it takes to undertake such a goal.

The physical training has been tough, but surprisingly it hasn’t been the hardest part of getting RAAM ready.  I’ve worked out regularly for years, and so I simply segued into a RAAM-specific training program beginning January 1.  I’ll admit that it wasn’t the most pleasant thing to trudge out the door time after time this past winter to ride in the cold, dark, and/or rain.  However, it generally wasn’t too bad once I got out there.

Long distances don’t bother me.  I think I’m naturally suited for endurance exercise, but I’ve also approached it in a smart way.  I’ve ramped up my mileage over several years.  Although I had no idea I would ultimately be part of RAAM, this has been an ideal way to prepare.  Since January, I’ve simply ridden even farther and more frequently and done some event-specific training (i.e., RAAM blocks).  It’s been enjoyable for the most part, but it’s not something I could keep up indefinitely, even if I wanted to.  My family (except for Robert) doesn’t understand any of this.  Recently, my father was telling me about a conversation he had with my brother-in-law.  The two of them were concerned that maybe I’m overdoing it on my training.  I assured Daddy that I’m not.  This is a short-term project in the grand scheme of things, and I’m just doing what I have to in order to get ready for RAAM.  If you’re not an endurance athlete, you can’t understand what it’s like to have such a huge training load, much less why you’d even take it on.

The biggest challenge of RAAM has been the lack of time to do much besides work and train (and go to church on Sunday morning if I’m in town).  I feel like I’m hardly at home.  Clean laundry stays piled up; I usually just pull things from the stack as I need them.  I’m somewhat of a neatnik, and so the house generally stays picked up, but it’s never as clean as I like it.  I do cook almost every night, but that’s because good nutrition is a priority for Robert and me, and we cherish our time together in the evening.  And don’t think that Robert doesn’t pull his weight around the house.  He’s always done his fair share of housework.  It’s just that right now I’m not able to keep up with my usual tasks.  My RAAM teammates are experiencing the same thing.  As Jennifer put it, “Some things just aren’t getting done right now.”

I’ve really been missing reading.  I’m about a month behind on newspapers.  I suppose I should just give up on that and start fresh after RAAM.  Additionally, I haven’t read nearly as many books this year as normal.  At least I still have audiobooks for my commute to work.

If I don’t have time to read, you can believe I don’t have time to watch TV!  I haven’t watched anything since January, except snippets of Family Feud when I’m lifting weights in my basement.  I love Steve Harvey!

Last year I had a blast going to a taping of Family Feud in Atlanta!

By the way, I’ll bet I can count on both hands the number of times I’ve even sat on the sofa since January 1.  I had my sofa recovered right at the first of the year.  The few times I have lain down on it, it has been so comfy!  I love the new fabric, too, a pattern with leaves and frogs.  Here’s to getting better acquainted with my sofa following RAAM!

Besides my personal activities, I’ve also had to curtail my community and volunteer activities.  Early in the year, I was asked to do a theme meal cooking class, once a week for three weeks.  I was thrilled, but I’m glad I was able to do it before my training schedule got so intense.  Even in late January/early February, it was a stretch to adequately prepare for and teach the classes.  More recently, I was asked to serve on a local board in my community.  It’s a very worthwhile cause that I would like to support, but I told them I wouldn’t be available until at least July.  I have trouble saying “no,” and so this is a good indicator of just how busy RAAM is keeping me.

A few months ago, Robert was looking at my training data on Strava.  He commented on how many hours I was putting in, as much as 20 or so per week.  I knew that I was riding a lot of miles, but to put it in terms of hours really struck me.  Training for RAAM is like having a part-time job on top of my full-time job.  And that doesn’t even account for the numerous hours of planning and logistics that go into RAAM.

I was talking with my friend Brigette, who has crewed and raced in RAAM before.  I told her that I think I have a little understanding of what a young Olympic hopeful goes through, training so diligently with no time for anything else but school.  Brigette appreciated that sentiment, but she said that she thinks RAAM is harder.  A young person training for the Olympics has other people taking care of feeding them, paying the bills, etc.  Also, they don’t have to plan their own event.  RAAM provides the basic structure and rules, but my team has to recruit and train our crew, arrange the RV and minivans that will follow us across the country, gather bicycle gear and other equipment, and make our own travel arrangements for the start and finish – not to mention, do a bunch of fundraising!

Robert and I were engaged for a year before we got married.  I enjoyed planning our wedding very much, but it took a great deal of my time and energy during those months.  Getting ready for RAAM has seemed even more intense; it’s so daily.  For example, one evening last week I thought I might have a rare opportunity to relax a little because I only had a one-hour ride on my training schedule.  However, between running errands after work (including picking up my bike from the shop after its RAAM tune-up!) and trying to recruit a few last minute RAAM crew members, the evening was gone.  I was lucky to get seven hours of sleep (i.e., not enough, as usual).

I don’t see my circumstances as unique.  I know that we all have lots going on; much of my activity happens to be cycling focused.  Besides, any stress I’ve been feeling is nothing compared to people with real problems.  As I train and do RAAM, I’m trying to remember the young victims of domestic minor sex trafficking being helped by Wellspring Living, my RAAM team’s charity partner.  I hope that my team’s efforts do even a little to make their lives better.

Also, I certainly don’t intend to glorify busyness.  As I headed out on my 162-mile training ride a couple of weekends ago, I thought about how much I wanted to stay home and get caught up on laundry – I kid you not.  But I soon settled into that meditative quality of a long ride, pondering the give and take of our lives.  Right now, RAAM is good.  After RAAM, life will be in better balance again.  I look forward to reading, kayaking, spending time with my dogs, enjoying being at home, and just…being.


For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment