Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Monday, April 6, 2015

RAAM JAAM

Good Friday is a holiday at my office, and so I used my three-day weekend for some extra RAAM training.

Friday
I’ve been doing some RAAM blocks (sets of 10-20 miles with a 30-minute rest between each set), but Friday was the greatest number of RAAM blocks I’ve done at one time so far.  I did 102 total miles in five sets of about 20 miles each.  My initial goal was to ride all five blocks at 70% of my functional threshold power (FTP), the maximum power I can maintain for one hour.  This seemed like a reasonable target because during RAAM I want to ride as fast as I can, i.e. at the highest power I can, but it has to be a level that I can repeat time after time for about seven days.  Determining this level is one of my main training goals between now and RAAM.

Friday morning was beautiful as I set out on my first block.  I felt better on my bike than I had in a while; therefore, I quickly increased my goal for the day to ride at 75% of FTP.  That worked pretty well for my first three blocks:





By the fourth block my power started waning:


On block 5 I wasn't anywhere near 75% of my FTP:


It turns out that I should have stuck with my original goal of 70% of FTP.  This was valuable information – exactly what training is for!  Now I need to determine whether 70% of FTP is reasonable for multiple days.  My best chance to evaluate this will be in May when my three teammates and I get together for a 48-hour mini RAAM simulation.  In the meantime, I’ll keep riding as much as I can, including more RAAM blocks.

By the way, even though my 30-minute rest periods weren’t that long, I was grateful for even those short segments, which allowed me to do a little housework.  (These days, between work and training, I feel like I’m never home!)  It also made fueling easy because I could eat at home rather than on my bicycle.  I made sure to get some good protein during one of my breaks, fixing a fried egg sandwich with fresh eggs from my chickens – don’t forget the mustard!

Also, to make sure that I stayed on schedule, I set the alarm on my phone during each rest period.  The alarm sound I use is a dog barking.  On one of my breaks, I left my phone on the kitchen table while I was folding towels in the adjacent laundry room.  My greyhound Mr. Spock was lying on the kitchen floor.  When the alarm went off, he went nuts trying to figure out where that dog was!  First, he ran to the window and started barking.  Then, he ran down to the basement, out the dog door, and into the backyard.  He never did find that dog.

Saturday
On Saturday I was looking forward to another century, especially since I wasn’t worried about holding any particular power this time.  I was simply trying to get in miles.  Not that I was lollygagging, though!  I still tried to keep up as strong and consistent a pace as I could.

I kicked off my ride with a stop by The Vanilla Bean, my local coffee shop.  It’s such a wonderful place – food, beverages, atmosphere, etc. – but I don’t get to go very often because I’m so rarely in town during the hours they are open.  Although I had already had a hearty and healthy breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, milk, and tea that morning at home, some additional fuel was still welcome.  I had another cup of tea (ginger this time) and a slice of German chocolate cake.  As I was enjoying my treats, a friend stopped to say hello and asked, “You're out riding so you can eat that, aren’t you?”  I laughed and said, “No, I’m eating this so that I can ride!”  Truth.

I also had a delightful conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Schrock, a very nice couple in my community.  They have always been extremely friendly and kind, and so I don’t know why I should have expected anything different from them this time, but I guess I thought they might look askance at me in my cycling kit.  That’s because they are Mennonites.  My spandex didn’t seem to faze them a bit, though.  We talked about my upcoming RAAM adventure, and they seemed genuinely interested and excited.  I told them a little about my training, the logistics involved during the race, and how my team is racing on behalf of Wellspring Living, an organization that assists victims of domestic minor sex trafficking.  As I was leaving, I wished them a happy Easter.  Mrs. Schrock said, “The Lord is risen!”  I replied, “He is, indeed!”  Ecumenism at its finest.  Maybe we don’t all worship God in exactly the same way, but we all are God’s children.  Amen.

A few miles down the road as I was headed to Macon, a car slowed down beside me.  It was the Schrocks.  Mrs. Schrock waved out the passenger side window and called out, “You go!”  That totally made my day.

The remainder of my route to Macon strung together some familiar roads, including the beautiful main thoroughfare through the Piedmont Wildlife Refuge and some Monroe County roads that I know from Peach Peloton.  Then, I had to wend my way through a few side streets to get to my downtown Macon lunch destination, Cherry Street Cycles.  They have just moved to an expanded location on Second Street, adding a small restaurant.  A barbecue sandwich hit the spot and gave me a little mid-ride protein.  Leaving Cherry Street Cycles, I rode a portion of the Ocmulgee Heritage Trail and headed back home through Jones County.

When I got home, I certainly was tired, but I felt pretty good for having done back-to-back days of 100+ miles.  The real fatigue had not yet set in...

Sunday
On Saturday night I didn't sleep as well as I expected.  I woke up a number of times during the night.  Although I went right back to sleep each time, I'm sure this was an indication that I'm pushing my body harder than it's used to.  That's exactly what I need to do to get fitter and faster for RAAM, but as Robert wisely reminded me, I also need to allow myself enough recovery.  The body actually grows stronger during recovery as it repairs itself than during the intense training efforts themselves.

After a magnificent Easter morning at church, I headed out for another ride.  Happily, Robert went with me!  My original plan was to ride about 50 miles, but I was pretty beat.  Robert talked me into going a shorter distance, convincing me that that would do me more good.  I did shorten my route, but I kept the main part of it, which included Rabbit Skip Road - the perfect road to ride on for Easter!  (I don't know of a Jesus Road.)

As tired as I felt during the first part of my Sunday ride, I can't believe how much better I felt after about an hour.  I still thought it was smart to stick with the shorter route, but if you had told me at the start that I would wind up riding 31 miles at 17.6 mph and an average power of 141 W, I would have told you that you were crazy!  Robert advised me to mentally file away this experience; if I'm feeling awful in the middle of RAAM, I just need to remember that I will start feeling better.

When I got home, I made myself one of my favorite recovery drinks, which is essentially glorified chocolate milk.  I added a scoop of protein powder; how had I forgotten that we have a huge canister of it in the pantry?  That's going to be my M.O. on all long rides - a recovery drink with protein powder.  I'm still trying to eat plenty of protein in my regular diet; the powder will simply be a supplement.  Protein is extra important in the type of training I'm doing.

Because I work full time, most of my riding has to occur on the weekends.  By default it's getting more intense as I up the mileage.  Based on my training this weekend, I've decided to take a slightly different approach to my remaining weeks before RAAM.  I'll keep going long and hard on the weekends, but I'm purposely going to take it easier on my shorter rides during the week.  Recovery is so critical, yet it can be so easy to overlook.

What great lessons on intensity, nutrition, and recovery from this weekend's training!  RAAM JAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R044sleOW6I

No comments:

Post a Comment