Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Eating Sardines in the Rain

Usually I enjoy my training rides, even the tougher ones.  Today, not so much.  It was really a combination of factors.

I went into my ride with a less-than-optimal attitude because I had several things on my mind.  Often I can ride through such mental fuzziness and feel better, but today I wasn't having much success.  Maybe that's because it was raining, too.  A lot.  It's always hard to start in the rain.  Once you get out there, it's not so big a deal, but you have to get over that initial hurdle.

Then, about 45 miles into my ride, I had a stupid crash.  I wasn't even going very fast, but as I rounded a corner, I went over on my side.  Fortunately, neither my bike nor I were hurt very seriously, but I did bang up my hip and elbow.  Ow.  I do have one thing to be grateful for, though.  A very kind woman who was driving by and saw me fall turned around and came back to  make sure I was OK.  That really meant a lot to me.

The rain continued to drizzle.  I stopped to eat my sardines.  I needed the protein boost.  It occurred to me: what kind of crazy person sits out on a country road eating sardines in the rain?  Maybe I should have just ridden over to Milledgeville from there.  (If you're a native Georgian, you'll know exactly what I mean.)  At least my crash injuries weren't too severe.  I checked myself and my bike more thoroughly at my sardine stop.

The rain intensified as I continued my ride.  I modified my original 100-mile route, going only 80 miles.  Maybe the fact that my modified route included a dirt section will make me seem like less of a slacker.

Robert came out in his car to check on me, offering me a ride about 15 miles from home.  I thanked him but said no, I was going to finish it.  It was one of those days when I simply had to get through it.

The best part of my ride was that I had my favorite flavor of sardines, the ones in Louisiana hot sauce.


1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Betty Jean! I have a lot more respect for the RAAM team effort after seeing the Race Across America documentary. With the one teammate being unable to ride, the team had to carry on without him- picking up his miles. Talk about pressure.

    ReplyDelete