Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Misadventures of Frankenbike

Frankenbike season is in full swing.  Starting about the first of October, there’s just not enough daylight after work for me to ride my road bike.  However, I’m fortunate to live in a rural area with an abundance of dirt roads right near my house.  Decked out with front and rear lights, Frankenbike is perfect for evening riding on these very low-traffic, unpaved roads.  Yesterday I decided to take a different route that included a couple of dirt roads that I had never ridden.  According to Google Earth, they connect to other roads that I do know.  Google Earth lied.

To get to the unfamiliar dirt roads, I had to ride on some paved roads, including a state highway.  Fortunately, it’s still early enough in Frankenbike season that I was able to ride the paved portion before the sun went down.  About four miles into my ride, I turned off the pavement onto Goldin Road, which is unpaved.  It lasted about half a mile before it dead-ended.  Bummer.  I wasn’t really surprised, though, because when I was planning the route, I had zoomed in really close on Google Earth and thought that Goldin Road might not actually exist where the line showed.

I made a fairly easy detour and went to the second unfamiliar dirt road, Hayes Road.  I had no reason to doubt Google Earth, which indicated that Hayes Road connects Felton McMichael Road and Clay Tillman Road, two dirt roads that I have ridden.  There was even a nice road sign at the Felton McMichael end.  At first Hayes Road looked like the typical dirt roads I usually ride on, even having a few houses where I started.  As I continued on, though, it became less and less maintained.  I really began to wonder about this road as it eventually turned into a giant erosion ditch with extremely deep ruts.  I kept thinking that soon it would get better as I approached the other end.  It didn’t get better.  In fact, despite my bright front light, I went down in one of the ruts.  I banged up my elbow, but I was fine to keep riding.

I checked the map on my phone, and I appeared to still be on Hayes Road or at least close to it.  I decided to keep going.  A mud hole here, a tree across the path there – this was becoming a true cyclocross ride!  Surely I was getting close to Clay Tillman Road.  Then I came to a swampy area by a creek.   I had to turn around.

It was dark now.  I put my front light on its highest setting.  I was fairly certain I was retracing my route, but I checked my phone map again.  Other than the road/path I was on, the closest road appeared to be a paved road I knew.  For a minute I considered trying to go straight through the woods to that road.  Then I realized that I was getting a little panicky and just needed to relax and think clearly.  I developed a plan: keep going back until I reached Felton McMichael Road again and call Robert to come get me.  I didn’t want to ride Frankenbike all the way home because I wouldn’t feel safe riding on the paved roads in the dark, even with my lights.

Periodically, I checked my phone map to make sure I was going in the right direction.  Still, I got disoriented a few times.  Once I even came to an intersection with a house that I didn’t remember seeing before.  Another time I stopped when I thought I had taken a wrong turn.  I rechecked my map, took a quick nature break, and got back on Frankenbike.  I don’t know exactly what I did, but somehow as I was trying to clip in, I fell over so hard that I twisted my saddle and the right side of my handlebars.  I couldn’t move either one back into place and had to keep riding cattywampus.  At least I could still ride.

Finally, I got back to Felton McMichael Road.  Robert picked me up and laughed with me sympathetically; he had had a similar entanglement with Hayes Road about a month earlier.  At least it had happened to him during the day!

When we got home, Robert started cleaning up Frankenbike for me while I doctored my elbow.  As you might imagine, Frankenbike was terribly caked in mud.  Robert started with a hand shovel(!), but he had to switch to the garden hose.  Also, he was able to straighten the saddle and handle bars.  Frankenbike and I are both ready for our next outing.

Last night’s ride taught me a lot:

·         A phone and a front light are invaluable.

·         Google Earth isn’t always correct.

·         Explore new roads during daylight hours only.

·         Don’t panic.

·         Even if you expect adventure, sometimes you get a little more than you bargain for!

No comments:

Post a Comment