Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pie Ride

Thanks to my cycling friends in Milledgeville, yesterday's ride was made even more fun.  As I checked Facebook while I had breakfast before my ride, I saw a post from the Bicycling Club of Milledgeville explaining that yesterday was International Pie Ride Day.  We were instructed to stop for a piece of pie during or after whatever ride we did yesterday, post a picture, and use the hashtag #PieRide.  I have no idea what this was all about (perhaps related to one of my favorite holidays - International Talk Like a Pirate Day - which was the day before?), but I was game.  Besides, it fit perfectly into my existing ride plans.

Yesterday was one of those rare Saturdays when I didn't have an out-of-town ride or race.  I didn't even have to get up to an alarm clock.  Therefore, I planned a nice, longish ride from home, beginning whenever I felt like it.  After breakfast, I headed to the Monticello square.  When I'm home on Saturday morning during the spring or summer, I always go to my local farmers market.  Yesterday we even had live music - Les Steele and the Yellow River Band.  For years Mr. Steele was a music teacher and band director in the Jasper County schools.  Additionally, he participates in any local musical endeavor, like the Monticello Community Band.  On many a Saturday morning at the farmers market, he has entertained the crowd with his singing and keyboard playing.  Mr. Steele is a Monticello institution.  I was thrilled to see him yesterday because it was probably the first time he's played in the community since a terrible accident he had in recent months.  Because of the accident, he ultimately lost both of his legs.  He's been living at The Retreat, our local nursing home.  Here he and the band are (Mr. Steele is kind of hidden, wearing a purple shirt and playing the keyboard in the middle of this photo):



I saw my friend Ed at the farmers market, and I loved the way he described the scene: Music Midtown in Monticello.

I always like to buy something at the farmers market.  Yesterday's purchase was a wonderful, homemade tamale prepared by a local family.  I discovered these tamales several weeks ago.  They come filled with pork or chicken and are wrapped in banana leaves.  Corn husks are usually used to wrap tamales, but these are so huge that I guess banana leaves work better for them.  They come with two salsas, red and green.  Both are fiery (and delicious!).  One tamale is plenty big for Robert and me to split.  I looked forward to doing just that for lunch after my ride.



Then it was time to fulfill my Pie Ride obligations.  Besides going to the farmers market, the other thing I like to do to kick of a Saturday morning ride in Monticello is to go to The Vanilla Bean on the square.  It's a wonderful coffee shop run by a local Mennonite family.  They also serve high quality sandwiches, salads, soups, and pastries.  Since I don't like coffee, I get tea.  Additionally, it's one of the few times I splurge and get a sweet treat, usually a muffin.  But of course, today I was looking for pie!  Michelle, a cute teenage girl who works behind the counter, took my order.  I told her that I was instructed to get a piece of pie during my ride today.  I'm sure that sounded quite bizarre to her, but she simply smiled and went with the flow.  Scanning the display case of pastries, at first I didn't see any pies.  (There are usually a couple of types available.)  Fortunately, Michelle directed me to the Key lime pie in the lower corner, which I had overlooked.  Perfect!  Especially with a cup of Earl Grey tea:


Now well-fueled, I was ready to begin my ride in earnest.  Robert (sweet husband) accompanied me for about the first 10 miles.  He was on his cyclocross bike and, therefore, planned to do a paved/dirt mix.  I did an all-paved, 51-mile route on my road bike.

I love my rural home.  Where else would you find a sign that reads simply, "MULCH WANTED" - no phone number or other contact information.  I said to Robert, "How does that work?  Someone's driving down the road, knocks on their door, and says, 'I got your mulch right here?'"

Robert turned off on a dirt road, and I continued on my route.  What a glorious day!  I was grateful for so much: the strength and health to ride my bicycle, blue sky, green trees, sunshine, warm air, fields, cows, hay bales, crickets, excellent roads to ride on, Robert, friends and neighbors I had seen at the farmers market, delicious oatmeal for breakfast, and a good night's sleep - just to name a few things.

It's only a couple of days until the first day of fall, Tuesday, September 23rd (a little later than usual this year).  I try to appreciate every season, but I have to admit that I love spring and summer best.  I get a little melancholy as fall arrives.  None of that on yesterday's ride, though.  The day was like a luscious lemon, and I was determined to squeeze out every last drop of summer juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment