Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, August 3, 2014

FDR Little White House 200K Permanent

Note: I'm working toward an award offered by Randonneurs USA (RUSA), the R-12.  This entails riding an event at least 200 km in distance each month for 12 consecutive months.  I began last December, and so I anticipate completing this challenge in November.  Most of my events thus far have been brevets.  However, there was not a brevet offered in Georgia in July; what to do?  No problem - I simply rode a 200K permanent.  A permanent is very similar to a brevet.  The time limits are the same for both, and both have designated controls (checkpoints) along the way.  Each permanent route has an organizer.  You coordinate with the organizer to select a starting date and time.  The organizer sends you a route card and cue sheet.  Then, you simply complete the ride on the agreed upon date within the prescribed time limit.  I rode the FDR Little White House 200K permanent in July.  Also, I was fortunate to have a couple of rando buddies join me.


I had a blast on today’s FDR Little White House 200K permanent!  Also, I was thrilled that David Bolocan and Robert Newcomer joined me.  However, I’m not sure “blast” is how they would describe it.  The heat did get pretty intense later in the day.  I kind of like the heat, though, probably because I’m a native Georgian and possibly part lizard.

As I drove from Monticello to Griffin for the start of the ride, I had a beautiful view of the full moon setting.  Coincidentally, I was also listening to “Man on the Moon” by REM – magic.  It was a good portent of the day to come.

David, Robert, and I headed out from the Ingle’s in Griffin.  It was foggy and a comfortable temperature in the 70's.  The first excitement of the day occurred a few miles outside of Yatesville when I ran over something and got a flat tire (rear, of course).  My marginal tire changing skills seemed to amuse David and Robert.  Changing a tube is one of those Catch-22 situations; you have to practice the skill, but you hope not to have the opportunity to do so.  My husband has actually drilled me at home on changing tubes, but it’s still not something I’ve done lots of times.  Although I’m sure I could have completed today’s changing job by myself, I certainly appreciated David and Robert’s help, which allowed us to get back on the road sooner.  Besides, it gave them something to tease me about the rest of the day.

I’ve ridden on Highway 190 over the Pine Mountain ridge several times before, usually stopping at one of the lovely viewing locations along the way.  As we rode this highway today, I was a little regretful that we didn’t stop to look at the valley below.  However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the FDR State Park office, which I had not been to before, also has a great view.  This control turned out to be the highlight of my day for a couple of other reasons as well.

We had sort-of lunch at this control.  I understand that Ian had a nice lunch spread at the FDR Little White House 200K brevet back in February.  (Sorry I missed that one!)  Since we didn’t have that option today, we relied on the vending machines and other snacks available at the park office.  FYI – they have Ben & Jerry’s ice cream!  I might have planned accordingly if I had known, but at the time I wasn’t hungry enough for a pint.  Instead, I got a box of crickets.  How could I pass up that opportunity?  They came in several flavors, including bacon & cheese and sour cream & onion.  I got the salt & vinegar ones.  They were pretty good, tasting kind of like a cross between potato chips and popcorn.  The crickets plus a Coke made a tasty lunch along with the besquished turkey and cheese sandwich that had been in my jersey pocket for the previous five hours.  I had bought a Snickers at the first control, which had liquefied by lunchtime.  It was still goo-ily edible, and I intended to eat it then, but I was too full after the other stuff and, therefore, saved it for later.

Lunch o' champions
Back of the cricket box
The guys and I sat in Adirondack chairs overlooking the valley.  It was quite an enjoyable respite.  There were a bunch of hula hoops gathered at one corner of the adjoining grassy area.  They were just the thing to entice four cute little kids who showed up.  After watching them for a while, I couldn’t stand it anymore – I just had to join them.  I don’t know why my rhythm was so much better today than it ever was when I was a kid; I was able to keep my hula hoop going pretty well!  I would have continued for a good bit longer if the Coke in my stomach weren’t getting sloshed around so much.  Before I stopped, three women who were with the children (mothers, I assume) gave it a whirl, too.  Maybe my hooping attempts gave them the nudge they needed to try.  Bicycling, hula hooping, etc.: why do we adults ever quit doing the stuff that was fun when we were kids?

By the way, here’s today’s fun fact: Pine Mountain is the southernmost mountain in the Eastern U.S.

Daniel McKinley regularly rides some of the roads on today’s route, and he kindly gave me a heads up about a bridge that was out around mile 116.  Ian offered the option of a detour, but David, Robert, and I opted for the challenge.  And that it was.  We had to wade through a creek and climb a steep, muddy embankment.  Woo hoo!  Cyclocross!

Hey, I thought this was a road ride!
I felt good at the end of the ride.  Walking through the Ingle’s parking lot made me feel even better; I found a $10 bill!  It was right next to a particular car, and so I had customer service page the car’s owner.  The car belonged to an Ingle’s employee, who was relieved to know that nothing was wrong with it.  The money didn’t belong to her, however.  So, I kept it.  Afterwards, I went to the restroom and saw that mascara was streaked all down my face from sweat. The Ingle's employee must have thought I looked pretty pitiful and needed the money worse than she did.

Thank you, Ian, for setting up the ride, and thank you, David and Robert, for riding with me!  Today was an excellent example of my life motto: Expect Adventure.

Betty Jean

P.S. I’m sure you all know that chocolate milk is a wondrous recovery drink.  I recently discovered the recipe below, which is essentially glorified chocolate milk.  It was mighty tasty when I got home today.   Oh, and it’s definitely two servings – enough to share with your sweetie!

Double Chocolate Chip Frappe

1 cup milk
2 T sugar
1/3 cup chocolate chips
3 T chocolate syrup
2 C ice
1/8 tsp. vanilla

Blend and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment