Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Moon Ride

Today is the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.  Although I wasn't born yet, I'm awed and thrilled by this human feat.  Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, and Mike Collins may have been the ones physically there, but it truly was "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

To celebrate, I rode 50 miles today, an out-and-back route to Juliette.  I stopped at the Honey Comb, a shop that sells Moon Pies.  They have full-sized Moon Pies and these great little mini ones for $0.50.


It was the perfect mid-ride snack.

This evening I had a moon theme dinner for Robert and me.  He graciously let me pause the Tour so that I could play my list of moon songs during dinner:
  • Fly Me to the Moon – Frank Sinatra
  • Man in the Moon – REM
  • Walking on the Moon – The Police
  • Ticket to the Moon – ELO
  • Moonshadow – Cat Stevens
  • Eclipse (from Dark Side of the Moon) – Pink Floyd
  • Moondance – Van Morrison
  • Bad Moon Rising - CCR
  • Luna – Tom Petty
  • Full Moon – The Kinks
  • That’s Amore – Dean Martin

The menu included:

  • Pizza ("When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie..." - see That's Amore)
  • Salad with blue cheese vinaigrette (The moon is made of green cheese, but blue cheese is all I could find.  If I had planned earlier, maybe I could have gotten some green cheese by letting some get moldy.)
  • Blue Moon

We're watching the end of the Tour now.  When it's over, I'm going to play Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven on the piano.

"Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the moon, July 1969 A.D. We came in peace for all mankind." - Apollo 11 plaque

No comments:

Post a Comment