Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Saturday, January 5, 2019

Laughter: The Best Medicine

It's been said that cycling is about pain management.  Some of the best ways to manage that pain are good nutrition, good friends,....and a good laugh.  Last Saturday I did a 200K, and today I did a century at Peach Peloton.  Both were tough.  Both had a funny moment that buoyed me the rest of the ride.

Athens 200K Brevet

I've done this route a number of times.  Last Saturday I rode it with some of my best rando buddies: Andrew, Chad, Dick, Graham, Ian, and Julie.  We weren't lollygagging; it was one of my faster times on this route.

At one of the controls, Andrew and I were discussing various drink mixes for endurance athletes (Infinit, Skratch Labs, etc.). He said Hammer products upset his stomach because they have too much whey.
Me: “No whey!”
Andrew: “Whey!”


Peach Peloton

We had a store stop at about mile 54.  
Jeff K. got some kind of pink, fluffy snack cake thing. I said, “That looks like something Zsa Zsa Gabor would eat.”Jake said, “You mean that character from Star Wars?” Jake’s confusion is understandable; I get Zsa Zsa Gabor and Jar Jar Binks mixed up all the time.



Later I found out that the pink, fluffy thing was a Sno Ball.  OK, so cycling isn't always about good nutrition...


But I can always count on good friends.

Riding through the Auchumpkee Covered Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment