Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, July 2, 2017

Nancy Drew Ride

Summer showers are common, but the chance of rain wasn't very high today.  Therefore, I was surprised when it rained pretty hard for several hours this afternoon.  When it finally cleared, I checked the Weather Channel.  Radar indicated a patch of rain north of Monticello, but it looked pretty clear to the south.  Therefore, I sleuthed out a route down Highway 11.

Robert said he would ride with me - yea!  As we headed out, he suggested doing Marathon Loop, a 26-mile loop that goes more to the west.  The sky was darker in that direction, but I agreed.  A few raindrops started falling.  Robert stopped to check the radar again.  He said that we were going to get wet no matter which direction we went.  He wanted to go back to the house.  I wasn't convinced; I still thought my original southerly route was a good bet.  When I headed down Highway 11 S instead of heading home, Robert said I was stubborn as a mule.  As if I didn't already know...  But he followed me.

It was a beautiful afternoon in that direction.  We rode to Hillsboro Lake and turned around to retrace our route.  About five miles from home, we saw water vapor evaporating from the pavement from a storm that had passed through a short time earlier.  We had avoided the rain.  Robert should have trusted my amateur meteorological skills.  If we had been in a Nancy Drew mystery, the story would have read, "The ruse worked!"

No comments:

Post a Comment