Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Bonus Tracks for the Dublin 400K Brevet

A few bonus tracks for the soundtrack from last Friday’s 400K (how could I have forgotten these?!):

Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye – Our route took us for a short out-and-back to Clarks Hill, SC.  We crossed Strom Thurmond Dam over Clarks Hill Lake.  As we crossed the state line, I noticed the South Carolina tourism slogan on the welcome sign: Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.  I commented that there’s no way a guy came up with that slogan.  Julie said that it reminded her of the lyrics to a Marvin Gaye song, but she couldn’t remember the name of it.  Sexual Healing?” I suggested.  We decided that Sexual Healing would make a much better tourism slogan for South Carolina.  We’re sure that Strom Thurmond would approve.

Love Will Keep Us Together by Captain & Tennille – After we left the Waffle House control in Sandersville, we soon saw a sign for Tennille, a town just to the south.  Understandably, my companions called it “Tenn-EEL,” like in the 70s musical duo.  Being from Middle Georgia, and particularly having dealt with the Georgia DOT office located in Tennille, I knew that the correct pronunciation of the town is “TENN-ul.”  But it was pleasant to remember Captain and Tennille’s signature song.  Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment