Header

Road biking, dirt road riding on Frankenbike, tandem riding, group riding, time trialing, randonneuring - I love to ride, and I love to write. As I've traveled along on two wheels, I've learned one thing: Expect Adventure. Join me on the journey!

Betty Jean Jordan

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Fried Green Tomato 200K Permanent

Yesterday I completed another permanent in my quest to earn the Randonneurs USA (RUSA) R-12 award (only two months to go!).  The Audax Atlanta chapter of RUSA has a brevet scheduled for the last Saturday of this month, but I was a little nervous to wait that long into September.  So, I did the Fried Green Tomato 200K Permanent.  It was a terrific route anyway, and it passed about 1/4 mile from my house!

It was rather uneventful, but that's not a bad thing on a ride.  I did the whole thing by myself, which I didn't mind a bit.  There were several big things I planned to ponder during my ride.  I got some good pondering done during the first two or three hours when I felt fresh.  After that, I don't really remember what I thought about specifically.  I just let my mind wander and enjoyed the day.

One of the highlights was riding through the Piedmont Wildlife Refuge (PWR).  It's one of the most beautiful places I know, and spending any time there - whether riding through on my bicycle, kayaking, or hiking - always makes my spirit soar.

Several miles after the PWR, there was a big rut in the road at an intersection.  I took it slowly, but I heard a clank on the ground behind me.  I looked back and saw that my CO2 cartridge had fallen out of the small supply bag attached under my saddle.  The bag, which holds what I need to change a flat, has a zipper that has been splitting.  (Time for a new bag.)  My spare inner tube had come unfolded and was hanging out like a tail.  I retrieved the CO2 cartridge, put it and the inner tube back in the bag, and zipped the bag securely.  Unfortunately, my tire tool must have fallen out somewhere.  I couldn't find it.  It's not expensive to replace, but I was a little concerned about what I would do if I had a flat later in yesterday's ride.  Fortunately, that didn't happen.

The control at Kroger in McDonough made an excellent lunch stop.  I bought a pre-made turkey sandwich, banana, and a big bottle of Powerade.  There was a bench outside the entrance, the perfect spot for my makeshift picnic.

When I left Kroger, I headed east on the route.  Big thunderclouds loomed just to my north.  I was glad that I would be turning south soon, hoping that I would be able to avoid the rain.  I think I did miss the worst of it, but I rode through a fairly short segment with a heavy downpour.  One time a big thunderclap boomed right on top of me!  I ducked, started pedaling faster, and looked for a safe place to pull off of the road.  I didn't see anywhere.  By the time I started seeing some possibilities, I had ridden out of the rain.

I should have bought a bigger bottle of Powerade back at Kroger.  I was about five miles from my next control, which was a convenience store, and I was almost out of liquid.  I could have made it to the control without a problem, but I was grateful to pass right by a fire station in Butts County.  It looked like people were around.  When I called out, however, no one answered.  Therefore, I helped myself to the spigot on the side of the building, filling both of my bottles with water.  I don't think they would have minded.  Thank you, Butts County Volunteer Fire Department!

I finished my ride in 8 hours, 39 minutes, including stops.  Not bad, particularly riding the whole thing by myself.  I celebrated and did a little post-ride refueling at Dairy Queen in Monticello.  I got a pumpkin pie Blizzard, my all-time favorite flavor!


I felt good after my ride.  In fact, at the end I thought, "I could keep going if I had to."  Nevertheless, I kind of underestimate how much these long rides wear me out.  Last night I slept 10 hours, and I took a 2-hour nap this afternoon.  How grateful I am for that restorative sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment